Red Dirt Report was launched on July 4, 2007 as an independent website covering all manners of news, culture, entertainment and lifestyle stories that affect and interest Oklahoma readers and readers outside of our state. Our mission is to educate, promote civic engagement and discourse on public policy, government and politics. Our experienced journalists provide balanced, in-depth coverage of news stories that affect Oklahomans. Our opinion and editorial stories come from a wide range of political viewpoints. We carry out our mission by reporting, writing and posting news and information.
Red Dirt Report is committed to encouraging young journalists through our Junior Red Dirt Reporter Mentor and Scholarship Program. Students in high school and undergraduates in college can submit writing samples and a personal statement to qualify for the program. Students in the program will be listed on the website as Junior Red Dirt Reporters. Students in the program will work with the Red Dirt Report staff to develop and write stories. Red Dirt Report staff will work with students in the program to develop their journalism skills. Scholarship recipients are selected from the program each year on December 15.
We are committed to free speech and the First Amendment. We will write about whatever we please. In the words of the late, martyred abolitionist and newspaper publisher, Elijah P. Lovejoy:
“But, gentlemen, as long as I am an American citizen, and as long as American blood runs in these veins, I shall hold myself at liberty to speak, to write, to publish whatever I please on any subject – being amenable to the laws of my country for the same.”
- RDR Originals features all of our reporters and contributing writers. This a great section for following your favorite Red Dirt journalists.
- Red Dirt News features stories covering Oklahoma news and politics.
- Around the World features national and international news.
- Prairie Opinions are opinion and editorial pieces mainly focused on Oklahoma issues.
- Dust Devil Dreams is for all of you synchronicity fans.
- Sweet Crude includes Rusty’s Film, Rusty’s Music and Rusty’s Reads sections.
- Red Dirt Grit covers news of the strange and weird.
- Slice O’ Life includes Rusty’s Free Time, Rusty’s Eats and The Score – our sports section.
- Five n’ Dime – the Red Dirt Report store.